Indication seizures, DM neuropathy, pain associated with trigeminal neuralgia
Affects Na channels in neurons leading to decreased synaptic transmission
• Interferes with oral contraceptives
• Do not use with MAOIs
• May cause suicidal thoughts
• May cause Stevens-Johnson syndrome, agranulocytosis, aplastic anemia,
• Do not consume grapefruit juice while taking this medication
• Monitor CBC and platelet count
• Monitor serum blood levels of medication often
Cornell Note-Taking System Instructions:
- Record: During the lecture, use the note-taking column to record the lecture using telegraphic sentences.
- Questions: As soon after class as possible, formulate questions based onthe notes in the right-hand column. Writing questions helps to clarifymeanings, reveal relationships, establish continuity, and strengthenmemory. Also, the writing of questions sets up a perfect stage for exam-studying later.
- Recite: Cover the note-taking column with a sheet of paper. Then, looking at the questions or cue-words in the question and cue column only, say aloud, in your own words, the answers to the questions, facts, or ideas indicated by the cue-words.
- Reflect: Reflect on the material by asking yourself questions, for example: “What’s the significance of these facts? What principle are they based on? How can I apply them? How do they fit in with what I already know? What’s beyond them?
- Review: Spend at least ten minutes every week reviewing all your previous notes. If you do, you’ll retain a great deal for current use, as well as, for the exam.
For more information, visit www.nrsng.com/cornell